Let yourself be seduced by this delicious marriage of scallops, endive and orange butter, a subtle blend of land and sea.
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 4 endives
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 3 blood oranges
- 16 nuts St-Jacques
- Salt flower
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
Pan-fried scallops, orange butter, Christmas endive compote
- Clarify 100 g of butter: melt in a bain-marie, let stand for 20 minutes and remove the scum on the surface.
- Pour the butter obtained into a container, taking care to leave the whey (whitish deposit) at the bottom of the container.
- Squeeze the lemon, collect its juice.
- Remove the heart of the endives (too firm) located at their bases. Strip them off.
- Wash them, drain them. Slice them finely.
- Heat 40 g of clarified butter in a pan, place the chopped endives there, pour in the squeezed lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Cook for 20 minutes over medium heat until the endives are tender.
- Season and keep warm.
- Squeeze the 3 oranges, collect the juice, place it in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil until a syrupy consistency appears.
- Gradually add the remaining 50 g of butter cut into pieces.
- In a frying pan, heat 30 g of clarified butter, quickly sear the scallops (about 1 minute on each side, depending on their thickness).
- On hot plates, arrange a bed of endives, distribute the scallops there.
- Sprinkle with fleur de sel and place a bead of blood orange butter.
Clarified butter has the advantage that it can be heated at a high temperature without burning.
It will keep for up to 15 days in an airtight container. Its uses are varied, it can be used to cook meats,
fish, vegetables ...
Water bath : cook a preparation in a container (a saucepan, for example) itself placed in a larger one and containing boiling water. The bain-marie allows you to gently cook a delicate preparation, avoiding direct contact with a source of intense heat.
Slice : cut into thin slices.
Recipe: T. Bryone, Photo: C. Herlédan