Cod fillet in white butter is a classic but also an easy recipe when done well.
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 4 cod steaks (150 g each)
- 20 g butter
- Salt pepper
- 100 g semi-salted butter
- 3 gray shallots
- 5 cl of dry white wine
- 5 cl of white wine vinegar (or cider)
Cod steak in white butter
A great classic!
Preheat the oven to 200 ° C (th.7).
For the white butter:
- Cut the butter into small pieces.
- Peel and chop the shallots, bring them together in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Pour in the white wine and vinegar, bring to a boil and let evaporate slowly. As soon as there is only the value of a tablespoon left, gradually stir in the cold butter over very low heat. Whisk until the sauce is smooth and season to taste.
- Arrange the cod steaks on a non-stick baking sheet, sprinkle their surfaces with pieces of butter. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fish).
- Serve the cod steaks accompanied by the white butter sauce.
Chef's B.A.ba for an easy white butter
To give the white butter sauce more creaminess and stability, you can add 2 tablespoons of crème fraîche just after incorporating the butter.
If you don't want the pieces of shallots in the sauce, the white butter can be filtered.
Cellar side : Gros-plant from Nantes on lees
Photo: C. Herlédan