Both crispy and delicious, this asparagus puff pastry recipe with Maltese sauce is a delight.
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 1 roll of puff pastry
- 1 whole egg
- 1 kg ofasparagus green
- 2 Maltese oranges preferably
- 300 g semi-salted butter
- 5 egg yolks
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
Read also: benefits and virtues of asparagus
Asparagus puff pastry, maltese sauce
Preheat the oven to 170 ° C (th.5 / 6).
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut 8 discs. Hollow out 4 discs using a cookie cutter with a smaller diameter. Brown the 8 discs with the beaten whole egg. Stitch the solid discs. Place each hollow disc on a solid disc. Tick the edges of the puff pastry with the tip of a knife.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Peel the asparagus with a peeler. Cut off the fibrous ends. Wash the asparagus, tie them into small bundles and put them in boiling salted water. Cook for about 20 minutes depending on the size.
- Wash the oranges. Collect the zest and throw it in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain them, refresh them. Reserve.
- Collect the juice from the oranges. Filter it.
- Clarify the butter.
- In a stainless steel saucepan over low heat, whisk the egg yolks with two tbsp. of cold water. When the consistency is creamy, add the clarified butter by pouring it in a stream, while whisking. At the end, add half of the blanched zest and orange juice. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- As soon as the asparagus is cooked, take it out of the water.
- Place the asparagus on the puff pastry, pour a drizzle of maltese sauce over it and garnish with a few orange zest.
Recipe: C. Fradin, Photo: C. Herlédan