The latan is one of the most beautiful ornamental palms. Its bluish foliage and crown of leaves make it remarkable.
In summary, all you need to know:
Last name : Latanier loddigesii
Family : Arecaceae
Type : Houseplant
Exposure : Very bright, even sunny
Ground : Soil
Foliage : Persistent
How to maintain a latanier, especially indoors, how and when to repot it, what watering and what diseases.
Planting and repotting the latan tree
Blue latanier in a pot or container,
The latanier claims a good soil that you will possibly mix with 1/3 of compost if you have some.
In order to facilitate drainage, place a bed of gravel, small stones or clay balls at the bottom of the pot.
This operation prevents the roots from bathing in water, which could be fatal.
- So install it in a good size pot filled with special soil for house plants or green plants.
- Although it is necessary to repot in spring every 2 to 3 years, apart from that, prefer a surfacing regular which will perfectly meet the plant's need for growing support.
Blue latanier outdoors ,
As with planting in pots, do not hesitate to lay a bed of gravel, small pebbles or clay balls in order to facilitate drainage.
- You will then plant it in a mixture of potting soil, garden soil and sand.
In general, most latan trees do not tolerate cold or temperatures near or below 0 °.
In our climates, the latanier adapts to the interior of our houses and apartments.
- It thrives well when temperatures hover around 20-22° and requires a very good light and even the sun
So prefer the proximity of a window facing south or west in order to bathe it in the maximum amount of light and sun.
If you live in a rather dark place, avoid buying a latanier because it should not stand the absence of light too much.
Watering and fertilizer
Watering the latanier is important because it should neither be too excessive nor too limited. A happy medium is essential ...
In spring and summer:
This is usually the growth period for the latanier.
Water regularly while letting the soil dry on the surface between 2 waterings.
Watering must therefore be regular but measured so as not to suffocate the roots of the plant.
It can be said that watering every 2 to 3 days is often necessary.
what is very important is to mist the foliage every day to recreate the natural conditions of humidity.
- Every two weeks, you can bring him someliquid fertilizer, taking care to moisten the soil well beforehand.
From fall and winter:
You have to start with gently reduce watering because the plant has more limited needs.
As soon as the soil becomes dry for a few centimeters, water in order to moisten all the soil.
We can say thatwatering every 15 days should be sufficient.
But it also depends on the location of your latanier, if it is in full sun its needs may be greater.
- It is necessary that stop all fertilizer input from October and until March-April.
Diseases of the blue latan
It is without a doubt a lack of light or too much water.
- So find a brighter location and reduce watering by following our advice above.
The leaves are turning yellow :
If the plant continues to make new leaves, this is the natural evolution of your latani. Trees, even when they are evergreen, shed their leaves to renew them.
- You can therefore let them dry on your blue latanier and then fall off or cut them as you go.
- If no new growth appears and your latan tree looks gray, pay attention to watering and drainage and possibly add liquid fertilizer to the plant every two weeks.
To know about the latanier
Both aesthetic, this palm native to Mauritius is resistant and very easy to grow when following the instructions given on this sheet, it is one of the popular houseplants.
Its foliage is particularly elegant and original while its thick trunk gives a touch of exoticism in his living room, living room or any other well-lit room in the house.
Smart tip about the latanier
An air humidity level of 60% is required for this palm. Indoors, you will need to mist the foliage almost every day with soft water.