Dianthus is a very beautiful little perennial from the Caryophyllaceae family, excellent for decorating rock gardens and low walls.
Nicknamed the Flower of the Gods, it probably owes it to the beauty of its flowers.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Dianthus
Family : Caryophyllaceae
Type : Perennial, annual or biennial
Height : 15 to 20 cm
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Ordinary
Flowering : May to September
The dianthus loves hot and sunny situations, this is important for a beautiful flowering.
- When planting, soak the root ball in water a few moments before placing it in a mixture of potting soil and garden soil.
For the planting in container or planter, prefer potting soil only
- Planting is done without importance in the fall or in the spring, taking care to respect a spacing of 20/25 cm between each plant.
- The cuttings des dianthus is easy to make from May.
- They can also be multiplied by dividing the tuft in the fall.
Sowing of dianthus takes place as early as February and indoors. The ideal temperature is 20 °.
- Lightly bury the seed with your thumb then cover with potting soil
- Germination takes place after 8-10 days
- Keep the substrate slightly damp and water with water at room temperature.
- After germination, move your seedlings to a cooler place, around 12 °
Pruning, maintenance of dianthus
Dianthus is very hardy and requires little maintenance except perhaps remove faded flowers As things progress.
Notice that the dianthus particularly resistant to drought and therefore does not, a priori, need to be watered.
- Cut off the wilted flowers as you go, this stimulates the appearance of new flowers.
- Water only in prolonged drought
All you need to know about dianthus
« Dianthus "Comes from the Greek words"Dios "(Zeus, Jupiter) and"anthos "(Flower) which means" flower of the Gods ", certainly in homage to the beauty of this flower.
The number of varieties of dianthus offers a great variety of colors.
This little perennial, however, is still generous in its flowering and thus allows you to garnish your flower beds, borders, walls, rockeries or planters.
Rich in color and very fragrant, it is interesting to multiply the species within the same bed.
- Note that its growth is very fast
- She quickly takes over the weeds
Note that today we find among carnations crossing of Chinese carnations with carnations of poets which are particularly resistant to frost and summer heat.
Smart tip about dianthus
These florists' carnation flowers hold very well in a bouquet and look very pretty in a floral arrangement.